Thursday, April 16, 2015

Outside Toy Review

Now that it is finally nice enough out to go outside and stay outside for a good period of time, I thought I would do a review of the basic items I use to keep Lily and Tristan entertained and occupied. Most of these things have been gifts or hand me downs and have gotten us through a few seasons of outdoor time. My goal this year is to bring out a new (to them) toy each week or so to keep them interested and active. I have a water table and a roller coaster waiting in the wings at my parent’s house that will be perfect for them to use this year.

Fubbles
These no-spill bad boys are by far the most amazing bubble wand holder I have ever encountered while working with toddlers. Even when knocked over, dragged around, and thrown in the car, it manages to not spill a drop. Of course, the top part collects bubbles and gunk that can potentially make a mess but nothing from the inside leaks out. We’ve taken this with us to picnics, parties, parks, and on wagon rides. I love that the kids can use this without me either holding the bottle of bubbles or worrying about spilling. The mess is minimal and blowing bubbles is actually a good exercise in young children relating to speech development!

Gazillion Bubbles
Going along with our bubble theme, these bubbles are amazing and the gazillion is no joke. The wand provided has tons of different size holes that can be blown or waved for a bubble overload. The wand is a thicker, sturdier plastic so I don’t feel like I am going to break it when I whip it around. The combo of the bubble recipe and the different want makes for a good amount of bubbles to start flowing. They are also non-toxic and non-staining which is also a huge plus for parents! 


Wagon
After stroller walks, a wagon is our second favorite way to get around. We actually have two different wagons. The Radio Flyer one was a hand me down that we have gotten good use out of in the cooler weather. Lily got a Step 2 one for her first birthday we also love to use when it gets warmer. The Step 2 wagon has a removable canopy for the top and even a drawer to put snacks or Mommy things. Neither one will fit in my trunk (sometimes I miss driving the mini van for transport purposes) but it’s fun for a local walk to the library or park. Or to practice pulling each other around.

 
Chalk
Ahh sidewalk chalk. I know the texture is an issue for some, but I love it. from now until the end of fall, I will have chalk on my shoes and pants. My favorite is Crayola’s box of awesomeness because of all the shades and colors, but honestly, the Dollar Store and A.C. Moore have little buckets of it for $1 that work just as well! I stocked up all winter long in preparation of being outside regularly and also doing some learning and teaching outside as well.

Sand box/Sand Table/Sand Pile
Kids + sand = HAPPY. Another thing that’s not for everyone, but I love it and so do the kids. The first day this year that we used it, both kids stayed in for an hour without any fuss or fighting. It was amazing. They get a chance to build and create while also getting in some major sensory play. We have a few stray beach toys that we've been using but plastic cups and spoons seem to be what they fight over the most! You don't have to spend a fortune on sand toys. I actually bought a few random plastic toys from the Dollar Store last fall and hid them beneath the sand for the kids to find. There is so much you can do with a sand box or table that can tie in to your daily lesson!

Water Table
Along the same lines as the sand table, these are not for the faint of heart. They will get wet. You will get wet. Just make sure to always have a towel and a change of clothes ready. It’s not quite warm enough for us to break ours out, but I can’t wait until we can. Lily can spend hours playing in the sink so this will be so much fun for her and Tristan. This pirate ship one she got for her first birthday has a ton of different features for them to play with, and they can take their Little People go for a swim! I like that they can stand or sit while they play and I can control how much water gets put in the table. They control how much gets out! :)

Kid Friendly Picnic Table
Being able to have snack and do projects at a kid-friendly table makes outside time that much better. I wouldn't do a meal out there just yet because they do like to wander when they are not strapped in, but a small table is perfect for munching on some goldfish, eating some FreezePops or grabbing a drink. I also like to use it to do projects on when I want to spend the whole day outside. The one we have is super simple and just the right size for the two of them. This is a good item to search for at yard sales! If it's beat up or faded, but still in good condition, there's nothing a good washing and a fresh coat of paint won't fix!

Comfy Outdoor Chair

Just kidding. We all know that as soon as we sit ourselves down in a comfortable spot to watch them play from afar, we immediately are needed to jump up to do some bubble in the eye sand in the pants chalk finger scrape catastrophe. Actually, I am more of a hands on mom when it comes to outside play because I find it soothing to channel my inner kid and get my hands dirty. Which is probably a good thing chasing two 2 year olds all day. Another plus to constantly moving is an even, yet still awkward, burn (or tan) line. But it’s nice to have something on those days were the universe is in my favor and I can sit back and enjoy the day from the comfort of my chair. This one is on my wishlist, in my size of course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment