Thursday, May 8, 2014

Mother's Day Projects

A few weeks ago, I downloaded the A.C. Moore app for my phone and was rewarded with a 55% off coupon. The possibilities were endless. I chose a pack of 7 canvasses to use for projects with the kids. I figured once the weather warmed up and we were able to play outside in our patio cage, I could throw some smocks on them, bring out paint and let them go wild! I decided to use a few for Mother’s Day presents from Tristan and Lily. I am quite pleased with the results, and they could not have been simpler to make!

The first one was a trial run with this technique. Using blue painter’s tape, I taped off some lyrics from the Old Crow Medicine Show song “Wagon Wheel”. I used masking tape first, but it kept falling off the canvas and I knew once Lily started painting on it, all my hard work would be lost. (You could also use precut letter stickers, but where’s the fun in that)? I broke out the water colors and let her use whatever color she wanted and she created quite the masterpiece! After it was all dry, I removed the tape and traced the outline of each letter with a black Sharpie to make it pop. I love how it turned out!



For our second canvas pieces, we used water colors again, but this time I only let them use blue to make a sky background. Once those were nice and dry, I painted an arc in yellow in the bottom left hand corner for the sun. Then I painted their chubby little feet yellow and we stamped them on the canvas to make the rays. Using a Sharpie once again, I wrote out “You are my sunshine” and dated the project. I can’t wait to hang these new art pieces up and brighten up our room! 




No comments:

Post a Comment