Sunday, August 31, 2014

September Lesson Plans

In preparation for Ashley eventually having another baby for me to take care of, I decided that next week Lily and Tristan will be going ‘back to school’! I also need to start preparing myself for longer days spent inside once it starts to get colder and we can’t spend a majority of the day outside. The two of them are already on a pretty good schedule, but I would like to add a little more structure, as well as throwing in some sneaky learning tactics. I based my lesson plan model of ones I had to create when I worked for The Learning Experience. For the lessons, I used a combination of things I did with my class, things I found on Pinterest, projects my mom used when she taught, and things I did myself as a child. Each day will include an art or sensory project, a fine motor skill to master, time with music and movement, and a language activity. In addition, each week will have its own focus skill. For example, the first week we will be practicing putting on our own shoes. It could also be a task as simple as making a tower from blocks. Each week will start with introducing a letter and a color and a book that will be the theme for the week. I would like to teach them (and myself) to sign each color and letter as well. When we run out of colors, we will reconnect with our shapes. I am excited to do an array of fine motor and sensory activities with them, especially now that they are older and can handle more activities on their own.

Here’s an example of the lesson model, the projects I plan to do, and the skills we plan to work on. We’re starting off simple and hopefully we’ll all be able to ease into this (slightly) new routine. I am hoping to update this on a daily (more likely weekly) basis and compare what I wanted to get done vs. what we actually got done. I am a realist, so there will be days where certain tasks will not be completed, and that’s fine too. I am very excited to get back into a good groove and watch them learn new tricks!


Week One: September 1-5
Book of the Week: Alligator Alphabet by Stella Blackstone and Stephanie Bauer
Letter of the Week: A
Color of the Week: Red

Monday September 1: OFF

Tuesday September 2
Art & Sensory: Painting the Letter A with water colors
Fine Motor: Using a skinny paint brush
Language: Reading “Alligator Alphabet” and talking about letters
Music & Movement: Dancing to Bop Til You Drop
Focus Skill: Putting our shoes on by ourselves

Wednesday September 3
Art & Sensory: Gluing red tissue paper onto an apple
Fine Motor: Pincher grasp while gluing the tissue paper
Language: Talking about the Letter A and things that begin with it
Music & Movement: “Kids in Action”
Focus Skill: Putting our shoes on by ourselves

Thursday September 4
Art & Sensory: Gluing dyed rice to the Letter A
Fine Motor: Pincher grasp to pick up rice
Language: Talking about things that start with A
Music & Movement: Going on a hunt around the house for things that are red
Focus Skill: Putting our shoes on by ourselves


Friday Septmeber 5
Art & Sensory: Apple stamping pictures of things that are red
Fine Motor: Using an apple as a stamp
Language: Talking about things that are red
Music & Movement: “Exercise Song”
Focus Skill: Putting our shoes on by ourselves

No comments:

Post a Comment