Friday, November 14, 2014

Behind the scenes of a Photoshoot Friday!

I admit I have been slacking in the Photoshoot Friday department this year. It was a whole lot easier when they were a lot less mobile.  Naptimes are now spent prepping projects for the afternoon (or the week) while also trying to squeeze in a shower and some quiet cleaning. The summer was spent playing and being outside, which didn’t leave a lot of room for designing a set. But now that they are older and love to paint and be big helpers, they might have a hand in helping me prepare for some more shoots!

Where do the ideas come from?
The first photo shoot I did was when Lily was just a few months old. Jordan had just gone back to work and I was looking for fun and creative projects to do during the day with Lilypad, even at a young age. I saw a Pinterest post of a mom who used towels to create this hilarious creative backgrounds she would lay her sleeping baby on. I put her in her tiny bathing suit and experimented with an assortment of blue towels and blankets, her seahorse toy, and a brown blanket (for a surfboard). She was actually quite awake during this shoot. I did a few more photo shoots over the next few months with simple backgrounds for Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day.

Once I started watching Tristan, I did a solo shoot with him as Superman ‘flying’ over a town. I posted the pictures to Facebook and got a lot of positive feedback, along with the ideas to add Lily to the shoot. The beginning ones were very simple. The outfits were the center of the shoots and then I formed a scene around them with towels or blankets and simple props. As soon as they became a little more mobile, things became a little trickier.


How do I brainstorm?
I usually start with an idea based on an outfit or toy that one or both kids have or a prop I can easily make. For the Gone Fishin’ photo shoot, we had just gotten Lily a cute wooden fishing game and I had a large box leftover from something that made for the perfect rowboat! The Wild West shoot came from Ash finding those onesies on clearance somewhere. I have done a few holiday ones but the one that hit home and meant the most was the Restore the Shore shoot. I re-create my favorite parts of Seaside Heights’ boardwalk and we got the kids Restore the Shore T-shirts to wear. They posed with hammers and tools, ready to rebuild.

How long does it take me?
When I first started, I would sketch up the backgrounds I wanted to create the night before and get all the materials ready. For the first few shoots, it was just some stuffed animals, a few basic cardboard props, a towel or blanket, and Lily & Tristan, dressed to impress. Then things started getting a little more involved. I can usually draw and paint a background during a naptime. Or while the kids are painting their own projects or entertained by food or playdough. I usually prep slowly during the week then finish up last minute details Thursday night. I found it’s best to get them right when they wake up, after breakfast and before we get dressed. They’re usually pretty pleasant after they are fed.

How much does it usually cost?
Usually, absolutely nothing. I try to use outfits we already have or can borrow. If I do purchase an outfit for a photo shoot, it usually has another use I intend to get out of it. I use cardboard I have stockpiled in the garage. I do buy paint, but I also use that for other crafts and projects. For the safari shoot, we got Lily a Power Wheels jeep at a yard sale for $4 and I found the hats and vests at the dollar store. We bought her a drum kit at the same yard sale for about $3 and I couldn’t wait to do a shoot with it! For the kitchen shoot, I had made Lily a mini kitchen set out of cardboard and packaging tape and I had a fun time making a little kitchen scene for them to play in!

Do they always turn out the way they were planned?
No, of course not. Sometimes I change my mind halfway through making a ‘set’ or painting a background. Some days, I can’t get either child to sit still or cooperate for longer than 30 seconds which makes trying to capture their cuteness slightly difficult but sometimes the outtake shots end up being the best and silliest. I usually set them up, run a few steps back (or up) and start snapping shots. At times it’s frustrating, until I take a deep breath and remind myself it’s all for fun and they are two year olds.

So why am I interviewing myself about Photo Shoot Friday? Because it’s back, baby. At least for this week! We’re traveling to Oz along the yellow brick road and welcoming Dorothy as a member of the Lollipop Guild and a part of the Lullaby League. Here are some pictures from prepping for it and some cute ones of the kiddos being munchkins!! They actually had a lot of fun with this one and took direction from me on how to pose. They also stayed in costume for a while after and played up in Lily's room. I did take Tristan's hair out right away though and it's back to it's normal state!







And just for fun, here are some blooper pictures when we didn't quite have the scene set right! Notice the blanket escape on the sailboat, the sitting up surfer baby, a pirate on a mission, a Wild West town being torn to shreds, and a very miserable skunk. Even these are just too precious! 

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment