Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tiny Victories

This week has started out a little rocky. I am not sure if there is a full moon or some sort of barometric pressure change or my karma from all the things I put my poor mother through is starting to make itself known. Whatever it is, this week the past one and a half days have needed some extra caffeine, more patience, and a lot of belly breathing. When I feel myself start to drift off into that negative place, I try to think of things that have occurred in the past week or two that I consider Mom Victories. They are the little things that occur throughout the day that make you say to yourself in an almost cocky way, "Hey, I got this" before your child tries to prove you wrong. Whether it is bath time without a fight (to get in or out), or a successful trip to a store where no one shoots your a sympathetic look as your child sings at the top of her lungs with no means to stop, these tiny victories are not to be taken lightly. They are the fuel that keeps us going as parents. Well, that and coffee. Here are a few of my personal favorites that I feel sometimes deserve a trophy or a trophy or a cupcake. 

  • Finally picking that monster boogie. You all know the one I am talking about. It is probably attached to some part of their brain and has been in their nose for 2 days. They have fought you on picking it for them despite constant nose itching and suddenly you notice their defenses are down while they are drinking their cup or watching TV and BAM. You use that pinkie nail and get it with one quick swipe, rejoicing in victory until you realize you have a booger on your finger and no tissues in sight.
  • Peeing alone with no incidents. I breathe a sigh of relief if the kiddos are contently occupied and I manage to sneak off to the bathroom alone. Thank goodness one thing I learned in college was to pee super-duper fast because one of the following usually occurs. The first being as soon as I sit down, I hear one of them scream in distress about a taken toy or someone sitting to close or someone looking at them the wrong way. This will be followed by an OW and some crying or more screaming. The second is that creepy eerie silence that you know cannot be good. You pee with lightning speed and run back in the room to find one of two scenarios. They are exactly where you left them, zoning out to Elmo or Daniel Tiger. Or they are on top of the TV stand reaching for sharp knives while opening up all the cleaning chemicals. Well, not that extreme but you get the picture.
  • Putting a child down for nap without seriously considering cutting an arm off and leaving it in the crib. We now don’t have these issues too much because Tristan uses a cot downstairs instead of the pack and play and Lily sleeps in her big girl bed, but I can remember a few times all I wanted was a shower and all one of them wanted was to sleep on me. They would be sleeping soundly, complete with drool and snoring and I would ever so carefully shift their weight and wait a minute, hold my breath and then lower them in gently, keeping contact as long as possible. Then just as I was bringing my arms back up, eyes would pop open and crying would begin. Sometimes my own.
  • A meal time selection that everyone eats and does not complain. This is probably partially my karma for being a picky eater as a child. Every meal time resembled a diner. My brother didn’t eat cheese and I didn’t eat anything but the staples--hot dogs, nuggets, corn, and mac and cheese—so dinners were always fun for my mom. I usually try to plan out in the morning or at nap what the lunch menu will consist of. It usually is two different things but on some rare occasion, I will prepare one meal (usually soup or nuggets) and both children will not only willingly eat it, they will ask for seconds and watch TV without screaming at one another. I like these times.
  • Making it up the stairs without making a noise. I oftentimes give myself a mental high five when this occurs. Moms of light sleepers know the struggle. You finally get them down/back to sleep without having to remove a limb and you happily prance away, forgetting how damn loud your house is and WAHH it’s back to the rocker or the floor for you. I have perfected sneaking up these steps like a teenager slinking in after breaking curfew. I know which stairs creak, the right foot placement to not make a sound, when to hold on to the railing, and now for fun, I skip steps and work on my glutes.
  • Seeing either child read to, comfort, share a giggle, or just hug the other one. All jokes aside, I appreciate the opportunity I have been given to not only watch Lily grow and learn new things daily, but also for her to have her best buddy by her side doing the same thing. I know I am lucky to get to do what I am doing, but I also know it is not an easy task and not everyone could do this. We have really great days and some not so great days. We have time-outs and belly breathing mixed in with our projects and crafts and fun. They drive me nuts (and they know it). I lose my patience. I give them 3,052 kisses a day. Sometimes, I want to run away and hide in a closet with a bottle of wine and a ton of chocolate. But then I come back from taking a deep breath and counting to ten, and the two of them are sitting side by side, reading to each other or making each other laugh. And I then know I am doing something right. 


No comments:

Post a Comment