Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Just a few thoughts...

I am two days and six months away from being the mother of a two year old. YIKES! Where did the time go?! I find myself now googling things like “when should I start potty training?” and “how do I get my 18  month old to stop sucking her thumb?” and of course “why the heck is my precious little baby girl munching the crap out of her (sometimes) innocent cousin?” The answers to some of these questions are quite amusing.

My goal was to start potty training after Christmas. We got a potty, and prior to Christmas Lily sat on the ‘big potty’ twice. Once I caught her mid-poop so even though I had to hug her to keep her on, we successfully pooped on the potty. And when Jordan was watching her the other day and he came in her room to find her reading while sitting on her little potty. That’s progress right? HA. Ultimately I would like to have her using at least her potty by her second birthday/our road trip to Tennessee. My only fear of starting this now is that there is a 99.9% chance I am going to be doing double duty with both kids. Pun intended.

As for the thumb sucking. It really doesn’t bother me that she does it. She’s adorable and it’s always been her quick fix to calm her down. I do feel bad that her poor little thumb is chapped because of this cold weather. When she’s 15 and still sucking her thumb then I’ll be concerned.

The biting is the hardest to deal with. When I first started working at the daycare, I was in a classroom where the kids were about the same age as Lily and Tristan are now. The one little boy bit the other two kids in the class at least once a day. I could be on top of him, and he would still find a way to munch on his classmates. I even got bit a few times in the crossfire. I remember thinking “why is he doing this?” and I remember talking to his mom every day as she was signing the incident reports. She was just as frustrated and lost about it as I was. It all boils down to not being able to communicate their needs, wants, and emotions. Lily will hug Tristan or try to kiss him, and once he’s had enough, he’ll just open his mouth and lunge towards her. And if he takes a toy that she wants to play with, she comes running, mouth open.


These are three topics I need to further research. They’re on my naptime to-do list but so far this week my naptime ‘free time’ has been just long enough to take a shower and throw on a tank top. Sigh. I started to read some mommy blogs and threads tonight, but I am beat and we're watching our addiction..The Wire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment