Monday, February 3, 2014

Life Hacks Wanted!

I am all about finding ways to consolidate my junk and organize my life. We live with Jordan’s parents, so we have our room and Lily’s room to ourselves for our personal things, and then downstairs is where most of Lily’s toys reside. I have tried to keep everything as neat and organized as can be. It gets a little tricky downstairs in the family room where everyone always ends up sitting. Before Christmas, I went through all the toys the kids hadn’t played with in a while and boxed them up for the attic. I bought plastic bins from the dollar store and used my new label maker to sort and organize the smaller toys we have downstairs, like Lily’s “people” (FP Little People) and rattles/teethers.

My latest life hack concerns something I am sure we all have an abundance of somewhere. Possibly stuffed in a plastic bag. Yes, you guessed it. The handy dandy plastic bag full of other plastic bags. I am working with very little in the closet space department (more on that shortly) so the plastic bags floating around in there had to go. Even stuffed in a larger bag they take up too much room. So I bought contact paper from the Dollar Store, washed out an old boogie wipes container (any cylinder will do), and stuffed as many bags in there as I could. I slapped a label on it just in case someone was wary of opening it up, and voila. I can store this under the bathroom sink now or even out on my dresser.

As for my closet…eek. It needs help. Major help. I have been trying to brainstorm and rework it at least once a week and bit by bit it’s coming together. I have two wide plastic 3 drawer dodads in there that house my underwear, bras, tank tops, t-shirts (long and short sleeve) and all my yoga pants. It’s a tight squeeze and a little shaky, but it works since I don’t have any dresser space (I let Jordan keep his dresser since I just about took over the rest of his room). My sister in law Aubrey introduced me to the magic of a tension rod and let me in on her boot keeping secret. She will stick a tension rod anywhere and hang shoes from it. Boots are easiest, and she uses kid sized pants/skirt hangers. I don’t really have the space in my closet, but I have one jammed in between the wall and the huge hot water pipe that’s in there. It’s working for now.

Well back to the lovely task of putting away my laundry. I can, for the moment, say I have three empty baskets...only because I have Lily’s outfit from today laying on my bedroom floor.


Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment