Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Paper Plate Crafts

When I taught preschool, the pickings were slim in our supply closet. If you found enough of the same size construction paper for a project it was a miracle, and if it matched you had better go play the lottery. Needless to say, the paper I did buy (from the good old Dollar Store) for my projects and class were kept in my teaching bag in my closet unless someone asked nicely. On the days were the kids were crazy or I didn’t have a specific project planned, I would pull out some tempera paint, foam brushes, and some paper plates and let the kids paint away. Most of those brightly colored circles became things like suns, flowers, even a seahorse. I bought a pack of paper plates the other week from the Dollar Store and have started doing the same thing with Lily and Tristan.


We started our weekly shape lessons with circles, so we painted our plates red and glued black paper circles and some googley on them to make lady bugs! This week for our triangle project, we painted two different plates two different colors, and I cut out three triangles from said plates. We glued them together, added a googley eye and it became a triangle fish! These are easy and simple projects that don’t take much prep at all, are easy to put together, and are slightly sturdier than regular paper. I need to brainstorm some more ideas for the other shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment