Thursday, October 2, 2014

Five Little Pumpkins Flannel Board Story

In a perfect world, I would be doing one new flannel board story a week using our book of the week, but the books we’ve been reading have had quite a few characters and do not quite lend themselves to be flannel boarded. Also, by picking the simpler books and surprising them with new flannel stories, it will keep them occupied and excited longer. And as much as I'd like to be able to do that each week, something would have to be sacrificed. Like my showers aka my sanity. 

During lunch today, I quickly whipped up a flannel board story for our book of the week, Five Little Pumpkins! We’ve been reading and reciting the book all week and it has a cadence that both kids quickly picked up on.

Five little pumpkins sitting on a gate.

The first one said, "Oh, my, it's getting late"
The second one said, "There are witches in the air."
The third one said, "But we don't care."
The fourth one said, "Let's run and run and run!"
The fifth one said, "Isn't thisfun?"
  
Then Woooooo went the wind
And OUT (clap) went the lights.
  
And five little pumpkins rolled out of sight!


I used scraps of felt I have stuffed in my craft drawers and just cut out the basic shapes---orange circles for pumpkins, a long brown rectangle for the fence, a white ghost, and two blobby looking witches with simple brown brooms and green oval faces. I hot glued some faces and green stems on the pumpkins, eyes and a mouth on the ghost, and attached the witches to their brooms. They are not the most intricate of designs, but the kids could tell what they were. I could not wait to show them our new story!


After we ate our lunch and spent some time in the bathroom (I am pretty sure 65% of my day is spent in there), we got ready to do our pumpkin story! I did the story once using the flannel board and then I let them at it. It was adorable to see them helping each other not only put up the pieces, but say parts of the rhyme. Lily even fact-checked as Tristan put the story up on the board. There was only one meltdown about who got to hold the book and the ghost, which are pretty much the only thing I only had one of. But that's par for the course. I am glad they enjoyed it and can’t wait to do it again tomorrow! 


No comments:

Post a Comment