Friday, October 3, 2014

Week Five Recap!

Monday:
Our morning began just like any other. We took our walk and drew with some chalk outside. We painted our Elephant E’s and talked about things that start with the letter E. For our fine motor skill, I cut a donut out of a piece of cardboard and tied some yarn around the outside. I showed them how to weave the yarn in and out and around and around. They each tried a few times then got frustrated. Tristan started swinging it around like a crazy person and Lily threw a fit because she didn’t like how the string was tied to the cardboard. See, it’s not always rainbows and butterflies! We will be trying this again sometime soon and working on our patience.

Tuesday:
Today after our walk, we headed out for an adventure to the grocery store. Thank you Giant for having those carts with a two seater toy car attached to them. They behaved 100% better than my prediction! Both even listened getting in and out of the car, which is always a fun task. Every time we do it without a whine, cry, or a runaway, I take a deep breath and send a mental glass of wine out to the moms who deal with hustling and bustling on a daily basis outnumbered by children. We came home and grabbed a snack and began to make scarecrows out of paper plates. I precut eyes, a nose, hair, and a hat which they glued on to the plate. I gave them magazine pages to crumple and put between the plates and then I stapled up the outsides. Well, attempted to staple while cursing the stapler under my breath. They came out pretty cute so I think we might use them as the faces on an actual scarecrow I’d like to stuff with them!


Wednesday:

We were off to a slow start today. It has been slightly gray today so no rush was taken at all, except to nap! We went for a walk and looked for things that were blue. I love when Lily takes the lead and asks Tristan if he sees anything blue. I equally love when he flat out says “No.” We came back and played outside for a little bit until Lily said she had to go potty (we’re like 75% potty trained). They had some free play time for a little bit and then we had a snack. After snack and another potty break, we tried another fine motor activity using large beads and our trusty pipe cleaners. I originally saw the large beads done with thick (dry) spaghetti stuck in clay, but I couldn’t find our stash of silly putty and I knew playdough would be a distraction. So instead, I tried introducing patterns to them by making a bracelet of my own and Lily actually completed the pattern. Tristan opted for an all-orange look, which has been his thing lately. We read “5 Little Pumpkins” a few dozen times and I had all intentions of making a flannel board story about it during lunch, but my Fiskers have seen better days as of late and I didn’t want to chance the trek downstairs and waking up Tristan. That’s on my list of prep work for when I’m watching TV at night.

Thursday:
We had another slow start. These gray fall days are a motivation killer, man! I think our schedule is going to be slightly shifted so our walks are a little later and a little warmer! We painted things that are blue with water colors after our snack and then helped vacuum and clean our play room. As soon as the vacuum comes out, both kids grab a push toy to run around (and into me) with. After nap and lunch, we read our book, Five Little Pumpkins and did a flannel board story along with it which the kids really enjoyed. They even started reciting some of the story by themselves while putting up the corresponding felt pieces.





Friday:

We took a walk and counted how many pumpkins and scarecrows we saw. We also reassured ourselves that scarecrows and all things Halloween-y are just pretend. This year, trick or treating might be cut short for Miss Lilypad depending on what types of costumes we see! Hopefully the candy will motivate her to stay out. We played outside and danced to our new favorite song, All About that Bass. I love watching them mom-dance with each other! After a potty break and a little snack, we made some ‘thumb-kin’ patches. We ended the morning with our flannel board story and some beading. As usual, Fridays are a structured free for all. 

Have a fun weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment