Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Lily's Rapunzel Costume!

Thanks for the inspiration,'Punzel!
This year I thought I could skate by with choosing Lily’s costume for her one last time before the demands started. I was thinking a retro chick with a poodle skirt and saddle shoes. Or Lucille Ball. Mostly because I wanted an excuse to buy her saddle shoes! But we asked her, and she said 'Punzel. I was so impressed with how quickly she came up with that answer, I had to oblige. I still planned on making it as long as I could find something simple to replicate. She came with me to Joann’s to pick out the fabric. I stumbled across a great tutorial with a pattern here, and even though it was a 5T, the pattern was a perfect jumping off point. I figured I would have to hem some things but I also knew I’d be layering her up that night and since I’m not always a super star seamstress, I figured this would give me enough room for error!

I liked the idea for the bodice of this costume, but I wanted to make a very full tutu for the skirt. She absolutely loves her big purple tutu, so I wanted her to feel comfortable in this one and actually want to wear it. I used the same technique as I did last year to make the skirt and it came out great. But when I went to attach it to the bodice, all hell broke loose. Well, not really. It just didn’t line up the right way, and when she tried it on, it was too tight on her belly. As per usual during my sewing adventures, I spent a nap time with my exacto knife (I really need to stock up on proper tools for my sewing kit) cutting the skirt loose from the top. I was considering using just regular purple fabric for the skirt, but when I tried to measure it up against Lily, she said "No mommy, tutu!" Sigh. At least I thought I did a pretty good job getting the bodice part right without too many re-dos or headaches!

Attempt #1
Attempt #2
I un-looped all the tulle from the elastic band and laid it in groups of three, all uneven sizes. Another fun project I may have grumbled a little during. But hey, you live and learn. I folded each group of three in half and then pinned it to the bodice. I did two layers of this, and then sewed them together, leaving the back open on either side of the Velcro to ensure it fit and was not tight around her waist. It fit! The skirt was a little long and needed some cutting to even it out.  

The last step was to add the white trim around the bodice and lace up the front. The trim needs some ironing and and I still need to cut all the loose threads, but overall I am happy with the finished product, and Lily enjoyed wearing it this weekend at my parent’s house for a little pre-Halloween fun!

Almost finished!
As for the hair, I bought a few headband wigs from the Dollar Tree and experimented with hairdos. I first glue three together to give the braid a nice full look, but it was way too thick to fit on Lily’s head. Oops. I did a single braid in another one, and even though it is thin, she kept it on her head for a little bit. I bought fake flowers (also from the Dollar Tree) and to weave into the braid. I am 99.9% sure she will not wear this the whole night, but hopefully I can get a picture or two in!

I caved and bought her actual Rapunzel shoes from Payless. I wasn’t going to, but I channeled my Nan and she said “JUST ET THEM FOR HER” so I did. They probably cost about as much as the costume did to make, but I had a 25% off coupon from my birthday, and she’ll be able to wear them to church with a few of her dresses. Note to self—buy more purple dresses.

I will post more pictures of the complete look this weekend after she goes trick or treating! I am a bit nervous about Friday night. She hasn't been to keen on seeing Halloween decorations in the stores or on people's houses during our walk. But today, during our walk, every time she saw a decoration she did not like, she said "it's okay, Mommy, it's just pretend" and rubbed my hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment